Sunday, October 20, 2013

Halloween Project

This is Ben, I'm writing my first post for the blog.  Adam and I love Halloween, A LOT!  We were given this awesome embroidery on a really pretty orange fabric by our friend.

Clearly, there wasn't enough time to make a quilt before Halloween, given my schedule with work and grad school, but the Bernina "weallsew" blog had a pillow project that I really liked, so I adapted it.  The original project can be found at http://weallsew.com/2013/10/03/geometric-pillow-by-megan-bohr-for-weallsew/.  I made the embroidery the center piece and bordered it with a really neat black fabric with orange polka dots.  I quilted squares around the embroidery in orange thread and I really like the way it turned out, especially given that the whole project was complete in a couple of hours.  I love that the bernina instructions included a zipper, I'm not a huge fan of envelope back pillow cases.



 On the back I used a black charcoal Moda fabric with a modern print.  I quilted it with the same orange thread diagonally, straight lines, one inch apart.

 If I had decided to spend a little more time I might have considered cross quilting the back, or pulling some of my quilting and straightening it up, but overall I'm really happy.  It looks great on the sofa, we're considering embroidering the same design on black fabric in orange and making one more.  I can't say enough about how easy this was.  I would recommend anyone looking for quick holiday decor give it a try.  Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment