Sunday, October 27, 2013

Another Super Buzzy Weekend

Well, we have had another Super Buzzy weekend here as Seams Sew Gay.  Between checking out the new release of Bernina Machines, finding new fabric stores in the Ventura area, and theatre tickets, were were go go go.

We started out our Saturday with Trudy at The Quilter's Studio in Newbury Park.  They showed us what's new from our friends at Bernina.  They just released the new 560 and 880 E.  These machines are wonderful and have tons of features.  We had a chance to play around with them, check out the features and do a little shopping while we were there too.  If anyone is looking to purchase a Bernina, I would suggest a stop by The Quilter's Studio.  Ask for Trudy and you will be in good hands.  She is my go to gal when it comes to quilting.  When we ended there, we headed to Ventura with Trudy to visit some fabric stores on Main Street that we never knew were there.

We hit up Fabric Town first.  My initial thought was WOW!  They had everything someone could want in the areas of fabric.  I spent most of my time walking around and just taking in the sights.  We found some beautiful wool fabric to make some slacks, a soft geometric Minky fabric for a dog bed, and some heavy black out fabric for drapes.  I'm sure we will be back with Ben's mom in the future to buy out the store.

The next stop was a store that Ben found though Pinterest.  It's called Super Buzzy and it just made me smile.  We meet Kelly and her mother.  Kelly had so much knowledge of Japanese designers.  I have always been a fan of Japanese artwork and their style of animation, so this is the store for me.  They specialize in Japanese and Modern fabrics.  I was checking out their website on Friday and found a Christmas fabric that I wanted to make a runner out of.  I found it and it looks even better in person.  They were so friendly and helpful with any questions that Ben and I had.  Ben is a fan of anything London and he found this fabulous fabric that he is going to dress our bed up with.  There will be throw pillows to come.   I also bought the black London inspired design.  I am thinking that one of the dogs is going to have an outfit soon.  I also bought Making Magazine and can't wait to start making some of the Asian inspired projects from that.


After our busy morning, we had just a little time to hang out with the dogs and have a quick bite to eat before we had to head out to the Ahmanson Theatre to see The Sunshine Boys.  It stars Danny DeVito, Judd Hirsch, and Justin Bartha.  It was non-stop laughing from me.  I told Ben, some of the scenes could be played out by our family members and that made the connection just a little closer.  Danny DeVito was exactly what I expected and the slap-stick type humor is MY type of humor.


Sunday, we planned to just hanging around the house.  I have some embroidery ideas that I want to get programed out on my Bernina V6 software.  I also need to put my quilt dimensions into the software and try to do all the quilting though the software.  Ben has a queen size quilt that he is working on and there are a lot of strips that need to be pieced together, so he will be getting some of that done.  I was going to get samples of the Christmas coffee sleeves done but alas, Ben's mom invited us over for dinner and we couldn't pass it up.

While spending an evening with Ben's parents, I took was able to get some pictures of Karlyn's (Ben's mom) latest project.  She is a lover of all things Halloween and she put together an appliqué project.  The day we introduced her to The Quilter's Studio she found some fabulous fabric to use for her appliqué.  She has the Slice cutting system and used it to cut out the moon and a witch.  She appliquéd the moon, did some decorative stitching then added the witch.  Her final step was to add some glitter to give it a little more POP.  She also dressed up the collar.  On the front of the jacket, she appliquéd some jack-o-lanterns and coordinating fabric.  She finished off this with a wonderful whimsical cat button.  She has a great eye and imagination to dress up anything and is my go to sewer for quick questions.

I am hoping to have some patterns done for my Christmas coffee sleeves soon and will get some pictures up.  I have had multiple people ask about purchasing one and  I was thinking, what a good idea for a Stocking Stuffer attached to a Coffee Gift Card.  I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend too and I will be back soon with my completed Winter Charm Pack Runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment